As a lifelong Massachusetts resident, my hatred of the New York Yankees was something I never really questioned. Along with that came a bit of respect, because, well, they’ve been hilariously successful for the better part of my life. There was something robotic about the Yankees’ success, embodied best by the routine brilliance and utter dominance of closer Mariano Rivera. Rivera seemed infallible to most Red Sox fans – until those lovely four nights in October 2004, when the Red Sox became the first Major League Baseball team to win a seven-game playoff series after falling behind, 3-0, to the Yankees.
Before (and after) that fateful series, however, Rivera’s success had a soundtrack. Moments prior to his many long, slow walks from the bullpen to the pitching mound at Yankee Stadium, the first few chords of Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” rang throughout the ballpark. The song told Yankee fans to celebrate and the rest of us to pray. It let Rivera focus on the task at hand – getting the hardest three outs of the game and sealing a win.
Whether you’re working in a ballpark or an office, the right song can charge you full of the energy and confidence you need to complete a task, exceed a goal or land a pitch like Rivera. Next time you’re looking for inspiration, take a page out of the Metis book with a playlist of our ultimate personal walk-up anthems: https://open.spotify.com/user/jmoog/playlist/3OfRiAWdNmjmF8GfjMY3Ky
Our line-up includes:
- Eminem, “Not Afraid” – Sylvie
- DJ Khaled, “All I Do is Win” – Melissa
- Kanye West, “Stronger” – Kate
- George Thorogood and the Destroyers, “Bad to the Bone” – Nicole
- The Rolling Stones, "Start Me Up" - Ellen
- Metallica, “Master of Puppets” – Cathy
- DMX, “Party Up” – Olivia
- Rick Ross, “Hustlin’” – Harper
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Heads Will Roll” – Jessie
- Eminem, “Lose Yourself – Caitlin
- Kanye West ft. T-Pain, “Good Life” – Linda
- Nas, “One Mic” – Joe
- Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Higher Ground” – Rachel
- Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train” – Kelly
- Demi Lovato, “Complicated” – Justine
- Fifth Harmony, "Worth It" - Rebecca
- Eminem ft. Nate Dogg, “Till I Collapse” – Courtney
- Guns N’ Roses, “Welcome to the Jungle” – Crystal
I don’t know if being an MLB closer or PR account manager (or account executive, or content specialist) is harder. That said, in both situations, you need to perform under pressure. Integrated PR and marketing strategies are as dynamic as the industries in which our clients work, so we need to stay focused and energized throughout the day. Unlike Mariano Rivera, our favorite mental walk-up songs won’t land us in the Baseball Hall of Fame. They do, however, help us GSD.