Do You Want to Get Hired?
The good news is the economy is slowly recovering and the unemployment rate is at a national three-year low. The better news is that Boston’s unemployment rate is well under the national average. What does this mean for a Boston PR firm job seeker? The competition is fierce. Take heed of the advice below to get noticed and to get hired.
- Avoid misspellings and grammatical errors in your resume, cover letter or email. This is the employer’s first impression of you. Typos will send your application to the garbage can.
- Be prepared for the interview. This means do your research, know your prospective employer, bring portfolio samples and offer references.
- Never show up to an interview late. Showing up too early is just as bad.
- Use common sense. Chewing gum and leaving your cell phone on are big no-nos. For some comic relief, watch the bad job interview montage.
- Leave your baggage at home. We want to hear about how you could complement our team and thrive in our environment. Leave information about the drama of your personal life out of it.
- Always follow an interview with a thank you letter or email. Interviewers like to know that you appreciate the opportunity and are interested in the position. This token of appreciation will get you noticed.
Recent graduates and first-time job seekers may want to follow the advice of MTV’s Ryan Kahn: In this competitive job market, you want to stand out from the competition, and following the advice above is a step in the right direction.
Metis is currently accepting applications for all positions.